Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Love and Loss...

Sunday, May 23, 2010

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

What a great friend we all had in Ripken. He was absolutely the BEST dog that I have ever known. He allowed the kids to climb on him like a gym, protected everyone, loved greatly, and was loved by the entire family. He was the most gentle giant I have ever known. We considered him as much a Wood as he was a Reilly and loved having him spend time with us. Meredith and Ed said that they believe that he "choose" to come to our house for his final days because he loved and trusted us and knew that it would be too hard on them. I am honored to think that this may have been the reason...but whatever the reason may have been, I am so thankful for the time he gave us! I know that he is happily running on a beach somewhere and wagging that powerful tail on someone who is falling in love with him right now! Ripken Reilly - we love you very much and thank you for all the fun times and love you have given us all!







6 comments:

Cat Melton said...

Pets DO become members of our families, and the loss of one is something felt very deeply by all those that love them...I'm glad that you all had Ripken in your lives.

Love to all of you.

Anonymous said...

That's so great that you all have so many good pics of him... I'm sure you do miss him!

Trish said...

This is so very sad. He looks like he was an absolutely amazing dog!

mhsands said...

It will be an adjustment, but good memories will get you through. Hope the boys are dealing with it okay.

KRZeigler said...

Our pets are family and will be missed like all others. He looked like a great dog and I am sure the boys enjoyed him!

Meredith said...

Thank you for this post! I saw a little of it on my phone when you posted it on FB, but can just now really enjoy looking at the pictures...He truly was the best!! We miss him every day. He must have had more collars than any dog in the world. We are finding them EVERYWHERE! Love and tail wags, Rippy!!